Thursday, November 6, 2008

If you want a job, break a table...

In the background you could hear The Clash's "Should I Stay, or Should I go". In the foreground you could see me leap onto one of the four circular tables in the employee room. With my Guitar Hero guitar strapped on, I air-rocked to the music. I was given scenario number four, for my interview at Circuit City. Each interviewee was given a sketch to act out. Some of the others included acting your favorite sport; or if you were a professional wrestler, what would your signature move be called and what would it look like.



There were four of us in the "City Connect" or interview. After waiting for 30 minutes for the GM to arrive we headed to the back room. We were all greeted with high-fives and ACDC as we filed into the room. The GM and current employees started off by introducing themselves and showing us a quick slide show. They asked all of us several questions and we all responded with the typical give-them-what-they-want-to-hear tone. Now, it was time to get down to business. Literally.



I was lucky enough to go second. I was given the scenario of rocking out to a song provided by Guitar Hero. Well, I had to show-up Greg. He's the customer service manager and had mean intro when we first walked in. With his rock-out he slide on the floor, kicked chair, and almost broken guitar, he was tough competition. Now it was my turn to show these 'kids' how it was done. The music started and I pulled out a blue guitar pick from my wallet. (I don't know why, I always keep it there) I couldn't have planned the opening to my performance any better. I leaned into my power stance, and gave a nice I-own-the-world glare to everyone. It was time for some action. I bounced to the beat and threw in a little head bobbing. My audience was getting into my performance. They all looked like they were enjoying themselves. So I had to turn it up a notch. I jumped on top of the center table. I figured this wouldn't be enough, some other guy/gal must have done this before. I thought, I better add something to this.

My left leg lead the way as I made my move for the second table. As my foot landed, the table under me began to move. The landing table slipped about 2 feet forward. My right leg, still on the first table, luckily went straight down. My launch had caused the first table to fall straight over. With my left leg still on top of the second table, my right foot hit the ground. I thought I was a goner. If the first table hadn't tipped over, if it would have stayed up or slid back, I would have done the splits in mid air - between two tables. I landed with my legs frozen in ninety degrees. No groin had been pulled.



My embarrassment couldn't have been more noticed. I hurried to correct the fallen table and slid them closer together. My face felt like it was going to melt and my heart was in my throat. I don't know what shade I turned, but it must have been close to hot-rod red. Everyone in the room burst into laughter and applauded my efforts. Greg examined both tables and found one couldn't handle my power move and cracked.





I got the job.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

hahahahahaha!!! that is sooo hilarious! i love it!